Saturday, June 28, 2014

Meet Guy Calvert

Guy Calvert was born in Connecticut to an affluent family so he was lucky enough to never want for anything. He moved to the Treasure Coast in 1997 and retired early from engineering, allowing him to spend his time helping others.

Guy Calvert


Jensen Beach Christian Church Food Pantry

Guy is president of the board of Jensen Beach Christian Church, a very small, loving church. Guy says, "The Lord called me to do what I do now. I run a food pantry at the church and we feed around 600 people every week. In fact, we give out about 1.75 million pounds of food a year and we're going into our 6th year. We're the top food pantry on the Treasure Coast. I have the most wonderful team of about 30 to 35 volunteers. We work 3 days a week, different people each day. Most of these people have been with me for over 5 years. They work really hard."

Guy says they've had miracles happen at the food pantry. The Treasure Coast Food Bank is their biggest supplier. Every Monday Guy orders food for delivery on Friday. "One Friday afternoon around 2:00, there was no truck, no food, and 600 hungry people at the door. I called the food bank. I got confirmation of my order, but still no food. I went into the sanctuary. 'Lord, this one is Yours. I got no answers.' The minute I stopped praying, Border's Bookstore called. They were going out of business and emptying their stores. They said they were going to give us the food from their stores (their coffeeshops). And they did."

Guy says, "I don’t write grants. I don’t ask for money. It shows up on its own. God supplies. The food pantry is a loving place. Everyone gets along. Everyone is treated the same. We have all kinds of people of all different ethnicities. You have to see it to believe it."

Guy and his wife obviously work closely with the community. They are both medics and regularly check to see if the homeless or elderly need medical care or food. "There are little campgrounds everywhere here - places nobody sees or notices. We go in and try to feed people who are hungry. I've gotten kicked out by these people before. I have to gain their trust. I have a dentist who helps me. A doctor who helps me. My wife and I check to see if there are people with infections or anyone who needs help. We refer people who need medical care. We don't treat them ourselves."

Guy's Favorite Quote(s) or Words to Live By:

For I was hungry, and you fed me. ~ Matthew 25: 35 Holy Bible

I give everything to the Lord. He's the boss. What I do is nothing to do with me. I just drive the bus. ~ Guy Calvert



You can find other honorees by clicking on the links below:
Rob Crowder / Curtis Whiticar
Mindi Fetterman / Margie Jordan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home